Asda Lowestoft workers announce new strike
Workers at Asda’s Lowestoft store have announced a new strike over claims of a “litany of issues”.
From 3am to 10pm on Friday 9 August 2024, workers are expected to walk out of the store as GMB Union claims that staff are angry over “cuts” in hours, “poor quality” training, “bullying” management, health and safety issued “not being addressed”, and fire safety breaches “rampant”.
GMB also claimed that staff are unhappy over equal pay “not resolved in a timely manner”, however in response, Asda said: “Male and female colleagues doing the same jobs in stores are paid the same and this is equally true in our distribution centres. We continue to defend these claims because retail and distribution are very different sectors, with their own distinct skill sets and rates of pay.”
Asda added that regarding claims of “cuts” in hours, it is “investing an additional £30m during the remainder of the year to improve the in-store experience. This includes putting extra hours into store to help colleagues provide an even better service to customers.”
It marks the second strike at the Lowestoft store this year, as workers walked out of the East Suffolk branch for 48 hours in May.
The union added that despite meeting with senior management since the previous strike, staff have “no confidence any of the issues are being properly addressed”.
However, Asda has said that it “strongly rejects” the claim that ‘management’ is ignoring any of the problems raised by the GMB in relation to its Lowestoft store.
“We have addressed store specific issues and have responded to each of the points they have raised,” the supermarket said.
Subscribe to Grocery Gazette for free
Sign up here to get the latest grocery and food news each morning
GMB regional organiser Keith Dixon said: “Asda Lowestoft bosses know full well why workers are frustrated. They’ve met with GMB several times, but they seem to be burying their heads in the sand.
“Not a single point of concern has been addressed by Asda during these meetings – suggestions from GMB have been blanked.”
Asda also rejected this claim, as it said: “We have addressed store specific issues raised and responded to each of the points they have raised. The GMB stated that they would share a counter proposal to end the dispute but this was never shared.”
Dixon added: “Management seems to want to ignore these problems and hope they go away. They won’t. Now, Asda Lowestoft workers are walking out once again.”
An Asda spokesperson said: “We strongly reject the GMB’s claim that no action has been taken. We have taken proactive steps over several weeks, meeting regularly to listen to concerns and to respond to the points the GMB have put to us regarding the Lowestoft store.
“We have robust contingency plans in place and can reassure customers the store will be open as normal, should this industrial action go ahead.”
It comes as the latest in a series of industrial action at the supermarket giant over the past year at stores including Gosport, Wisbech and Brighton Hollingbury.
Earlier this week, the Wisbech store also announced its second strike this year as workers plan to walk out from 3am to 10pm on Friday 2 August 2024.




